Friday, March 1, 2013

The Best Steak on the Planet




The first order of business when making restaurant quality steak is to buy... quality steak. Fortunately for us there is a butcher a mile away where we buy the most beautiful sirloins I have ever seen. Second, bring the steak to room temp. Don't ask why because I don't have a clue. I believe it has something to do with the steak steaming instead of searing if you don't. All I know is it works for me and I am going to keep on keeping on.Just set them on the counter for an hour or so.
Once the meat is room temp, pat dry with a paper towel and season. I just use salt and pepper...maybe even a bit of garlic powder but usually not.


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. As the oven heats up, put the cast iron skillet on a large burner and heat it up to med high temperature. Add about 2 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil to your skillet. Once it is bubbling hot, lay your steak in the skillet and DO NOT MOVE IT. Our steaks are close to an inch and a half thick and I generally let it cook for about 4 minutes then flip it and let it get another 3-4 minutes.
Using an oven mitt, place the skillet into the oven and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from oven and, using tongs, place the steaks on a plate before covering with foil to let rest.

We always have this with mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts or maybe sauteed green beans.
                                                          You're welcome ;)








No comments:

Post a Comment