Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Day 1 - Playing in the Dirt

As promised, I began my newest adventure today...Gardening. Because we still have a high probability for another frost here, I decided to start my sweet little seedlings in a mini self-watering greenhouse. I went to Walmart (I know, I know...I am going to the local gardening store for everything else...I swear!) and grabbed a Burpee's Self Watering seed starter for about $20, a 1cu ft bag of Miracle Gro potting soil and two cute little 12 in plastic flower pots. Then I picked up seeds for a few veggies (like carrots, onions and spinach), a 4 pack of perennial flowers grown mostly for cutting (hollyhock, shasta daisies, echinacea, and coreopsis) that will be going in my little raised flower bed and mixed flower pack for those flower pots I got.






I followed the directions on the seed starting kit and planted my veggie and perennial flower seeds in it (72 hopeful plants!). Finally, I filled my flower pots with the potting soil and let the 7 year old help me sprinkle the mixed flower seeds on top. We added a little more soil, added water to all the seeds and sent up a prayer that these things start sprouting soon ;) Day one is down...now grow seedlings grow!!



No comments:

Post a Comment